5.06.2012

{highchair chronicles} Radishes + Waiting for Dinner



Greta and I just came in from checking on our babies in the garden. There are dozens of tender pea shoots, mustard greens galore, and row upon row of radish sprouts. She's learning, little by little to be gentle with each tender seedling. When her curiosity gets the best of her and she pulls one up, it's a perfect opportunity to taste. Yummy she says to radish sprouts, which makes me very happy. They are my favorite. 


Last spring, Greta didn't have enough teeth to partake in radish season, but the curiously shaped bulbs and their fuzzy leaves were wonderful distractions while she waited for me to make dinner. She's usually on my hip while I make most meals, but sometimes I need two hands. When I do, I wheel her high chair up to the countertop where I’m working and give her something we’ve just picked to play with.  Radishes, my old favorite spring standby, became new and beautiful in her wondering hand, and the most alluring way for her to discover the colors, shapes and textures of real, whole foods.



We're having friends for tortilla soup tonight.  I can't wait to shave the punchy pink bulbs over the top as garnish, and give Greta her first sliver, now that she's a serous eater, 11-teeth-strong. I hope radishes are making their way into your meals and menus this week, and that your little ones are become curious food explorers from where they sit on high too.

No comments:

My photo
New York City, United States
Sarah Copeland is a food and lifestyle expert, and the author of Feast: Generous Vegetarian Meals for Any Eater and Every Appetite, and The Newlywed Cookbook. She is the Food Director at Real Simple magazine, and has appeared in numerous national publications including Saveur, Health, Fitness, Shape, Martha Stewart Living and Food & Wine magazines. As a passionate gardener, Sarah's Edible Living philosophy aims to inspire good living through growing, cooking and enjoying delicious, irresistible whole foods. She thrives on homegrown veggies, stinky cheese and chocolate cake. Sarah lives in New York with her husband and their young daughter.