3.02.2012

{Test Kitchen} Penne with Pumpkin, Rosemary and Pine Nuts, and A Sneak Preview of Other Mostly Vegetarian Feasts




Hi friends. Thank you so much for coming back to read. You deserve a big thank you for humoring me.
I know my site has been all The Newlywed Cookbook all the time lately. While I hope it's brought you to many delicious recipes and ideas from my book, and the spirit of love I hope everyone is surrounded with, newlywed or not,  I want you to know there's still more to Edible Living than just the book. It's just it is so super duper exciting to put something you love so dearly into print, one can get carried away.

In case you're missing some of the old me, the simply just enjoying and sharing good food me, this post is for you. It's a little sneak peek into what's been happening in my kitchen the last 6 weeks, where I'm at work on another labor of love, a new cookbook with even more recipes than the last. This book, which for today I'm calling Mostly Vegetarian, is a book full of so many delicious and incredibly satisfying foods that just happen not to have meat, so that means everyone can eat them, whether you normally eat meat or not. In it you'll find foods like Penne with Pumpkin, Rosemary and Pine Nuts {above} and Kabocha Squash Soup with Spiced Fennel Butter and Harissa {below}. You'll also find essential tips and techniques for how to prepare every vegetable under the sun and, guess what, even how to grow them! {Hooray! My favorite part}.



That book is not out until 2013, but until then I'll be posting live from the test kitchen and the garden every now and then, sharing what's in the works with you. I hope you'll join me for the fun, and the dishes. Oh, the dishes.

Thank you, as always, for stopping in. And while you're here, will you tell me about your favorite Mostly Vegetarian kind of meal?

xo
Sarah

1 comment:

Minu Mathew said...

Me here again. I am liking your writing so much that I feel one with you! Wonderful! Here is a simple vegetable recipe that is very popular in Kerala, the Indian state to which I belong to.

The Dish is called AVIAL- which translates to a mish-mash or a mix of various things- here, vegetables. The great thing about this recipe is it’s die-hard simple, brings together a whole lot of vegetables and is very low on the fat-scale!

1. Peel the vegetables (like raw banana, yam, snake gourd, potato, carrot, beans, drumsticks - basically veggies which don’t get too soggy and watery after they get cooked)
2. Slice them into finger-thin sticks (just like how you cut for French fries)
3. Steam/ boil the veggies with salt and a pinch of turmeric ( I don’t pressure cook, just steam the veggies in a tightly closed thick bottomed vessel; adding a few spoons of water to it)
4. Once the veggies cook well, reduce the flame to a minimum, add grated coconut, ground cumin seeds – (they add the typical taste to the Avial ) along with coarsely ground green chillies.
5. Add a few heaps of plain yoghurt ( I had lots since I like it to be that way), mix well. Don't let it boil or simmer after adding yoghurt.
6. Add some freshly crushed curry leaves along with a spoon of coconut oil…mix everything well….am already drooling!

My photo
New York City, United States
Sarah Copeland is a food and lifestyle expert, and the author of Feast: Generous Vegetarian Meals for Any Eater and Every Appetite, and The Newlywed Cookbook. She is the Food Director at Real Simple magazine, and has appeared in numerous national publications including Saveur, Health, Fitness, Shape, Martha Stewart Living and Food & Wine magazines. As a passionate gardener, Sarah's Edible Living philosophy aims to inspire good living through growing, cooking and enjoying delicious, irresistible whole foods. She thrives on homegrown veggies, stinky cheese and chocolate cake. Sarah lives in New York with her husband and their young daughter.