8.22.2009

I Heart Farm Stands




norwich, vermont

I’m not the first girl to fall in love at a farm stand, but never was I so usurped as I was standing inside the Killdeer Farm Stand in Norwich, Vermont. The colors were arresting shades of pinks and purples, happy greens and golden orange-yellows. I stood there like an idiot savant, my mind filing the colors into categories, meals, and entire frescoes of flavor.

“I can see this is going to be a while,” András said. “I’ll wait in the car.”

Just then, I turned toward a pile of fragrant sweet corn. I was about to reach in and habitually pull back the outer layer of husk when I read a sign that said “You don’t crack your eggs before you buy them, do you?”

Handsome, and clever. Swoon.

5 comments:

Tara said...

Love the photographs and the mental image painted with your words. Probably because I've been in the same trance (Toph waiting in the car).

Little FIe said...

I love this blog. You inspire me to eat all things natural and indulge in life experiance. Great post!!!!

Mollie said...

I too heart farm stands, farmers markets, and everything that supports the local farmer. My husband, like Andras, would have done the same thing. Except a lot more impatiently that I'm imagining Andras.......

Scott said...

Thanks for the kind words. I know you appreciate the work it takes to not only grow and produce what you encountered, but understand the thought and work that goes into presenting it.

Scott Woolsey
Manager
Killdeer Farm

Edible Living said...

Dear Scott,

Having your comment on my blog feels like the best of all possible celebrity sightings. I'll be sure to ask for you and meet you in person the next time I head up. Thank you for stopping in!

-Sarah

My photo
New York City, United States
Sarah Copeland is a food and lifestyle expert, and the author of Feast: Generous Vegetarian Meals for Any Eater and Every Appetite, and The Newlywed Cookbook. She is the Food Director at Real Simple magazine, and has appeared in numerous national publications including Saveur, Health, Fitness, Shape, Martha Stewart Living and Food & Wine magazines. As a passionate gardener, Sarah's Edible Living philosophy aims to inspire good living through growing, cooking and enjoying delicious, irresistible whole foods. She thrives on homegrown veggies, stinky cheese and chocolate cake. Sarah lives in New York with her husband and their young daughter.